The Votes For Women motto was used in 1909 at the famous suffrage open house at Marble House, Newport Rhode Island. A specially designed tea set featuring this motto was first designed and manufactured at the request of the owner of Marble House – Mrs. Alva Erksine Smith Vanderbilt Belmont (1853-1933) – who was first married to William K. Vanderbilt, grandson of Cornelius in 1875. Following her divorce, Alva befriended noted suffragist Anna Howard Shaw, and worked the rest of her life with the most militant groups of the suffrage movement.
This rectangular plate is an interpretation of the service used during that open house.
5.25 inches x 4 inches